After Botulinum Toxin treatment you may have some swelling, redness and bruising which will subside within the next few hours. Bruising may take a few days, especially if extensive. Arnica tablet/gel can be used. A headache may occur after treatment and can be treated normally. Results emerge gradually over the next 3-14 days.
- Remain upright for 2 hours.
- Use muscles that have been treated regularly for 1 hour post treatment.
- Do not apply makeup for 6 hours afterwards unless mineral based.
- When cleansing, use gentle strokes and avoid pressure to treated area.
- Avoid wearing tight caps/hats over treated area for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol and exposure to UV light for 48 hours.
- Avoid extreme heat (hot shower, sauna, sun bed) for 48 hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours.
How soon will I see the results?
Initial effects will show between 2-5 days, but full effect can take up to 14 days.
How long will Botox last?
Around 3-4 months on average. Most people need repeat treatments every 4-6 months to maintain effects.
When to seek urgent review
Allergy or Infection is the only possible side effect that would benefit from an early review by your practitioner. Thankfully they are extremely uncommon. If you get a painful and/or itchy bump around the injection sites, please call your practitioner.
Though extremely rare, any side effects effecting the function of your eye, especially dry eyes, may benefit from discussing with your practitioner.
When should urgent treatment be sought?
Anaphylaxis or severe allergic reactions are very rare, but require immediate treatment. Immediately after your treatment if you begin to feel unwell, swollen, redness around your face, your practitioner is trained to recognise and deal with anaphylaxis. You may require urgent treatment which will be administered by your practitioner and you may require a transfer to ED.